Earlywork Student Tech & Startup Society List
Beyond staying on top of job listings, a great way for students to learn more about tech, startups and the relevant ecosystem in Sydney, is tapping into the content, events and other students within university groups and societies related to these topics.
For me personally, joining BusinessOne Consulting (a pro-bono student-run startup consultancy) in my first year of university had an outsized impact on my interest in startups, and helped me to build practical business skills and knowledge relevant to early-stage companies, awareness of potential career opportunities, and a community of peers with strong vision and ambition.
That’s why I’ve built a comprehensive list across UNSW, USYD, UTS, Macquarie, and WSU, as well as student-focused groups not affiliated with a particular university.
And hey, this might also come in handy for anyone looking to hire technology-focused students or partner/collaborate with student societies in this area.
Will keep working on fleshing this out; let me know if there’s any others I’ve missed.
- BusinessOne Consulting UNSW (B1): Pro-bono student consulting group that provides strategic business analysis and recommendations to startups.
- StartUp Link UNSW: Connecting students to the startup world through networking events, skill development workshops and recruitment opportunities.
- UNSW Founders Program: University-run comprehensive entrepreneurship program helping students, staff and alumni build entrepreneurship skills, start companies, and grow companies.
- UNSW DataSoc: Constituent club of the UNSW School of Mathematics and Statistics, uniting students passionate about data science, machine learning and artificial intelligence.
- UNSW Digital Society (DigiSoc): Providing opportunities in digital strategy, UX and innovation to connect with likeminded students, and learn technical & soft skills.
- UNSW Computer Science & Engineering Society (CSESoc): Faculty society for Computer Science & Engineering students at UNSW.
- UNSW Information Systems Society (BITSA): Faculty society for Information Systems students at UNSW.
- UNSW Cloud Society: Supporting all tech and cloud enthusiasts at UNSW.
- UNSW Financial Technology Society (FinTechSoc): Enriching and empowering students with an interest in the Financial Technology sector.
- UNSW Security Society: Student-run community focused on spreading awareness and enthusiasm for cyber security.
- Enactus UNSW: Organisation enabling students to develop social enterprises.
- Robogals UNSW: Inspiring, engaging and empowering young women in primary and secondary school to consider studying engineering and related fields.
- UNSW Hero Program: Team-based entrepreneurship training program run by the university.
- UNSW Women in Technology (WIT): Empowering women to succeed in technology-related careers.
- UNSW Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Society (CryptoSoc): Focused on tech and markets behind cryptocurrency and blockchain.
- AI and Machine Learning Society UNSW: Hosts social and educationalevents on the creation, deployment and impact of AI and machine learning.
- UNSW Young Entrepreneurs Society: Helps students discover & learn about entrepreneurship & business success.
- Society of Medical Innovation (SOMI): Empowering students to work in teams on medical innovation projects.
- UNSW Marketing Analytics Society: Constituent club of UNSW School of Marketing that aims to promote technical skills for marketing students and the wider student population.
- INCUBATE: USYD's leading accelerator for startups founded by students, alumni and researchers.
- Sydney University Computing Society (SYNCS): Faculty society for Computing students.
- BusinessOne Consulting USYD (B1): A pro-bono student consulting group that provides strategic business analysis and recommendations to startups.
- Sydney Genesis: The Genesis program exists to support the most promising USYD student startups through mentoring from experts and assistance with media exposure.
- Enactus USYD: Organisation enabling students to develop social enterprises.
- Women in Technology USYD: Empowers, unifies and educates students with a passion for technology whilst cultivating future leaders who inspire change and challenge prejudice within the technology industry.
- USYD Cloud Society: A group of people who are crazy about cloud technology.
- Sydney Startup Society (SSUS): A group for student entrepreneurs toshare resources and useful information for startups based in Sydney University.
- USYD STEM Law Society: For those studying STEM/Law degrees at the University of Sydney, or with an interest in the intersection between science, technology, and the law.
- USYD Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Society: Creating a platform for students interestedin blockchain & cryptocurrency to learn, research and SHARE.
- Sydney University Society of Medical Innovation: Encourages and facilitates the collaboration of all disciplines at the University of Sydney to contribute together to our ever improving healthcare system.
- Sydney University Mechatronics Society (SUMO): Provides mechatronics engineering students a tight knit community of filled with fun events, valuable industry exposure and peer support.
- Sydney University Business Analytics Association (SUBAA): Official society for the Business Analytics students at USYD.
- Data Society at the University of Sydney (SUDATA): A hub for students to share and learn just about any data-related knowledge.
- Sydney University Experience Designers (SUEDE): Official society for Experience Design students at USYD.
- USYD Young Entrepreneur Society (YES): Helps students discover & learn about entrepreneurship & business success.
- Macquarie University Incubator: Creating entrepreneurship programsthat train and nurture innovation.
- Association of Computing Students (MACS): Official faculty society for computing students at Macquarie University.
- Macquarie University Business Analytics Club (MUBAC): Making data analytics accessible and fun through events and workshops.
- China Entrepreneur Network Sydney: Focuses on networking and entrepreneurship development. Aims to bring together people from different backgrounds with the same interest of exploring business opportunities in the United State, China and Australia.
- Enactus Macquarie: Organisation enabling students to develop social enterprises.
- Launch Pad: Tech startup incubator and accelerator for businesses across Western Sydney.
External / Non-Affiliated
- Textbook Ventures: Student-led organisation that provides tailored support for aspiring and existing student entrepreneurs.
- Generation Entrepreneur: Not-for-profit organisation advocating for entrepreneurial education in high schools.
- Sydney School of Entrepreneurship:Entrepreneurship school partnered with all 11 NSW universities and TAFE NSW, supported by the NSW Government.
- FFWD Hub: Free 6-week virtual employability program for NSW international students run by the NSW Government, Haymarket HQ and WiseKangaroo.